Fire Safety Guidance
IF YOU DISCOVER SMOKE OR FIRE:
- Leave area by exit route
- Close doors as you go
- PULL FIRE ALARM
- Evacuate away from building
- Call 412-624-2121 (from a safe area)
- Do not use elevators during emergencies.
- Keep stairwells, corridors, and exits clear.
- Do not wedge fire doors open.
Section II of the University Safety Manual addresses Pitt's fire safety policies and procedures.
Fire poses the greatest potential for loss at Pitt. EH&S provides guidance in:
- Fire prevention
- Emergency evacuation plans and drills
- Person-specific evacuation plans (special needs)
- Fire extinguishers
- Residence hall fall safety
- Storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids