The University of Pittsburgh Department of Environmental Health and Safety has developed a program to provide guidance to University faculty, staff, and students for the safe use of lasers and laser systems and to ensure compliance with the American National Standard for the Safe Use of Lasers (ANSI Z 136-2014).
The objectives of the University of Pittsburgh Laser Safety Program are to:
- identify potential hazards to health and safety associated with lasers, laser systems, and laser operations and to prescribe suitable means for the evaluation and control of these hazards
- investigate all laser accidents and institute immediate corrective action to prevent reoccurrence
- provide guidance for compliance with Federal regulations
- make specific reference to such regulations where appropriate
The University has designated a laser safety officer (LSO) to monitor and enforce the control of laser hazards and to effect the knowledgeable evaluation and control of laser hazards for all circumstances of operation, maintenance, and service of Class 3b and Class 4 laser systems. The LSO is a member of the Department of Environmental Health and Safety.
Registration of Lasers at Pitt
All Class 3b and Class 4 lasers utilized at the University are REQUIRED to be registered individually with the Department of Environmental Health and Safety. Additionally, an SOP must be written for each individual laser registered. Use the links in the resources section of this page to download the laser registration form and SOP template. Once complete submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following your registration and SOP submission, you will be contacted by the LSO for any necessary follow-up and to schedule an inspection of the laser laboratory.
- OSHA Laser Safety Guidance, Resources, and Compliance
- University of Pittsburgh Laser Safety Manual (PDF)